Monday, December 16, 2013

The Hobbit - Overview : An Unexpected Journey

Before I start my review on Part 2 of Bilbo's journey I'm going to give my review/opinion on Part 1. For starters, Unexpected Journey is essentially the backstory to the dwarves so a lot of that is given within the first 10 mins.  While yes the film is supposed to be about Bilbo's journey, the original intent was to make the series a two part adaptation, they desired on a three part trilogy which meant adding more. And in truth, less is more. I mean it was great to see cameos from Elijah wood and Ian Holm but what point did either of them serve, more Elijah than Ian. I also agree with the rock giants scene, that was not needed in the film either. Adding all this extra stuff and the amount of time it takes to get out of Bilbo's house is so frustrating. In truth, I would have had the dwarves try harder to convince Bilbo to join them, even Gandalf should have tried harder. As a return to Middle earth it is good, solid stuff, just not great, like it should of been. 


Rating:   B   

No comments:

Post a Comment